Funeral Bells - Galerina marginata
Cap: Convex; sticky; orange with slight two-toned appearance; slightly sunken, darker center; faintly lined margin
Gills: Brownish; close with frequent short gills; slightly decurrent
Stem: Dry; rusty-brown ring zone
Habitat: Growing in clusters out of a fallen, rotting, moss-covered tree in a bog
This species has the moniker "funeral bells", and is not a mushroom that you want to mess around with.
Galerina marginata has the same kind of toxins that the deadly Amanita species produce. These toxins, called amatoxins, are especially dangerous because they do not produce symptoms for 6-24 hours. Because of the delayed onset of symptoms, the sufferer may not realize that the mushroom they ate earlier is the cause of their illness. Initial symptoms resemble food poisoning, but gradually worsen for a few days until there is a short remission. Unfortunately, the symptoms return within 24 hours, and after another week or so, the liver and kidneys fail. This will result in death unless a liver transplant is performed.
There is a drug called Silibinin, which is derived from milk thistle, that may be useful in treating amatoxin poisoning - if it is administered soon after poisoning occurs.
''Galerina marginata'' is a species of poisonous fungus in the family Hymenogastraceae of the order Agaricales. Prior to 2001, the species ''G. autumnalis'', ''G. oregonensis'', ''G. unicolor'', and ''G. venenata'' were thought to be separate due to differences in habitat and the viscidity of their caps, but phylogenetic analysis showed that they are all the same species.
The fruit bodies of this fungus have brown to yellow-brown caps that fade in color when drying. The gills are.. more