Contests

Learn about our special photo assignments and win cool prizes!
  1. Dear all,

Hereby I am announcing the winner of the April 2015 contest. First of all, thank you for participating, it's been a wonderful contest where we've seen great photos, interesting new species, locations and members. I am proud of you all.

The April contest is different from previous contests where we picked the winner by a single "best photo". Instead this contests judges participants performance over the entire month, in 4 ways:

1. quality of photos
    2. quantity of photos
    3. pioneering value (new species, new locations previously not known to JungleDragon)
    4. how you interact with others

I believe this type of contest does more justice to people making a lot of contributions. However, it also means picking a winner becomes a lot harder. It is partly based on statistics, and partly based on subjective impressions. Below I will be as transparent as I can in explaining how I came to the winner.

1 & 2: photo quality and quantity
    ----------------------------
    These two factors should be combined, really. Somebody posting few top photos will not win, nor will somebody posting lots of moderate quality photos.

The main competitors in this area are Wildflower (178 photos), Joe Spandrusyszyn (165 photos), Morpheme (119 photos). Combining quantity with quality, Morpheme wins this part despite not having the most photos, as the 119 photos are of a consistent high quality, with a correct composition, exposure, sharpness and detail.

3: pioneering value
    ----------------
    This concerns species intros mostly, although country intros count as well, and even for which country. The bare statistics are 66 new species for Morpheme and 55 for Wildflower. Some notable country introductions have occurred in Sweden, Poland and Zimbabwe, but not in a quantity to compete with the above. Again, Morpheme wins this one.

4. interacting with the community
    -----------------------------
    A good wildlife photographer engages with others, helps others. This factor cannot really be determined by statistics. As always, Wildflower stands out in this area by taking care of species management on a daily basis. Morpheme also recently joined the ranks of moderator and helps greatly in this regard. There are others making daily contributions in this area.

However, the most notable community contribution to me has been made by @LivingWild. He single handedly pioneered the all-new wildlife stories forum, in which he shared amazing life or death conservation stories. He also hooked up with the Namibian government to get exclusive photos to be shared on JungleDragon.

That's an amazing contribution that I did not see coming. But it goes beyond that. @LivingWild through his stories has made it very clear that nature conservation is his life, and he's frequently risking that very life for the sake of it.

In that spirit, LivingWild wins in this category.

Winner
    ====
    We have only one prize to give, not one per category. The winner is the combination of the above explanation. Unsurprisingly, the winner is:

morphememorpheme

Morpheme scored best across the categories. A prize well earned. I consider Morpheme a human species scanner. When you make a few steps in any forest, you are passing by dozens of species. Morpheme doesn't pass by them, instead captures them all with a hunger and accuracy that is awe-inspiring. The fungi, the molds, the smallest insect, the overlooked plant, nothing is missed. It is this hunger for exploration whilst also documenting findings in detail that fuels JungleDragon.

Congratulations, Morpheme, I will be contacting you privately for the prize.

As final words, please know that JungleDragon is not about winning prizes. It is our way of attracting new members (and reward existing members) for them to come hooked into our community, to discover the fun way in which we are sharing wildlife here. Therefore, the real prize has been won by all: sharing wildlife with each other, a reward and a great hobby in itself.

Nature for all, all for nature

Ferdy
    Replied 2 years ago, modified 2 years ago
  2. Well done Morpheme!! Replied 2 years ago
  3. Congratulations Morpheme! Truly well deserved!
    Replied 2 years ago
  4. Congrats morpheme! A well deserved title. I was rooting for you :) Replied 2 years ago
  5. I knew I should've spent more time going through old photos... only 13 photos away from being tied for #1 (in quantity)!
    At least that means I should have plenty more photos to upload next month, even if I'm not able to get any good new shots (though hopefully I'll get those too).

Congrats Morpheme!
    Replied 2 years ago
  6. I am greatly honored. I really love being a part of this site as it encourages me to learn so much. Each time I research a photo to identify it, I learn more than just the name of the creature. I learn about where it lives and why it lives there and why some of the places that I go to are so incredibly special. I've hiked before and take plenty of photographs, but now I'm more connected than ever to the places that I go and I pay more attention to the details of what's around me, rather than just seeing the awesome views (which I certainly can still appreciate!) Thank you all for the encouragement and especially thank you Ferdy for making this site possible.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to donate the prize - I have something in mind that ties in with some of the fascinating things I've seen and photographed recently.
    Replied 2 years ago
  7. Thank you Morpheme, JungleDragon changing your view on the real wildlife around you is the ultimate compliment. Very generous of you to donate the prize! I'll wire the money once you give me your details, and then it is all yours to decide. Replied 2 years ago
  8. Congratulations, Morpheme! I am jealous because you beat me on wildflowers. It is really an incredibly diverse environment that you have been to.

Joe, it was obviously not a matter of quantity and we cannot compete with a professional photographer over quality.

Ferdy, I introduced 8 new species last night which are not included in the 55 mentioned above. I would like to know if they will count towards the may contributions or will be lost in the middle?
    Replied 2 years ago
  9. @Wildflower: Sorry, they will not count since the May contest was not open yet. Apart from timing, you haven't confirmed your participation in the May contest yet. Replied 2 years ago, modified 2 years ago
  10. Congratulations Morpheme, you are an inspiration! Well done too to Living Wild, one day I hope to have time to read all your amazing stories.
    Again, well done Morpheme, certainly well deserved.
    Replied 2 years ago
  11. Morpheme - well done! A deserved victory! :) Replied 2 years ago
  12. Happy to report, I got all of the Paypal stuff figured out and today I made a donation in honor of Jungle Dragon to the Sustainability in Prisons Project. Not only does this benefit conservation here in Washington - among the projects that they work on are breeding programs for endangered frogs, butterflies and prairie plants, it benefits the prisoners who are learning valuable skills and responsibility as they participate. http://sustainabilityinprisons.org Replied 2 years ago, modified 2 years ago
  13. Kudos to you, @morpheme. I think you are the 3rd member in contest history to donate their prize, which just shows how deeply caring the community is, in which you play an example role. Looks like nature ultimately won the prize. Replied 2 years ago
  14. That's absolutely fantastic Morpheme, a great choice, well done to you. Replied 2 years ago
  15. Morpheme, you rock !!! Congratulations on a very well deserved prize and recognition. I've been out for a while, so sorry for the late reply.

Magnificent that you donated your prize. Truly an act of who you are ! A Wildlife Warrior ! And humanitarian ! This is the absolute combination that will ensure the survival of our beloved nature ... man with wildlife.

How superb you are !!!
    Replied 2 years ago
  16. So cool! Replied 2 years ago
  17. So cool! Replied 2 years ago

Forum rules

Be respectful to others. No spamming or trolling. No advertising. Mind your language. Post in the right forum. Thanks!

How to include photos, videos and more

You can include several objects in your forum topic and replies by simply pasting a URL in the body field. Examples:

Photo

https://www.jungledragon.com/image/7/elephant.html

Photo list

https://www.jungledragon.com/list/3/mammals.html

Tag

https://www.jungledragon.com/tag/12/elephants.html

User

https://www.jungledragon.com/user/2/fchristant.html

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/23864381