Contests

Learn about our special photo assignments and win cool prizes!
  1. Dear all,

I just closed the January 2015 photo contest, in this post I will announce the winner.

Over 1,500 photos were submitted during the contest time frame. In quantity, it has been one of our best contests ever, in quality I believe it is the best one so far. We've seen several new members join the site, but also existing members stepping up. Thank you all for participating.

Out of the 1,500 photos submitted, about 200 had winning potential. It was a difficult task narrowing down the list, but as always I have created a candidate list:

http://www.jungledragon.com/list/285/january_2015_contest_candidates.html

There are 26 candidates in the list, some members have multiple photos in that list. Just look at them, absolutely gorgeous wildlife photography! And now comes the difficult task of picking just one winner. All these photos have so much in common: high quality photography, shared in the proper way with rich context, including spotting detail, species identification and often geotagged.

As I did not want to select the winner on personal taste alone, I've weighed in community buzz (both votes and comments), and have ultimately come to this winner:

Lilac-breasted Roller - Colorful Beauty This is one of the best photographs I ever took, with a near full moon shining from behind the bird.  These beauties has 42 different recognized colors in its plumage, rendering it one of the most colorful birds in the world.   Coracias caudatus,Geotagged,Lilac-breasted Roller,Namibia,beautiful,color,colorful,icon,inspire,magnificent,pose,super

It is a strikingly beautiful photo, and the community seems to agree. Furthermore, it is well described, educational and captured in the true wild. Congratulations @LivingWild, I will be contacting you privately for your prize!

Although we have only one prize, I do want to list two runner-ups, in no particular order:

http://www.jungledragon.com/image/25343/fan-throated_lizard_male_guarding_territory.html

I find the above photo to reach technical perfection, an awesome subject captured in a great perspective and composition.

Indian Sloth bear...  not so sloth-like after all! :/ We had time for only one safari on our tight schedule so we were excited to get in the jeep and head into the unknown. The safari started off quietly with little animal movement or alarm calls indicating the presence of a predator. But with numerous Spotted and Sambar deer around, the big cats’ food of choice, we remained hopeful. The forest was quiet, unnerving yet peaceful, all of which added to our anticipation. We went on, with increasing tension and excitement, spotting many birds, monitor lizards and enjoying the feel of the forest. Close to the end of the tour we crested a small rise to come across a Sloth bear rummaging in a termite-mound about 10 metres away from the road. Focused on its dinner it hardly paid any attention to us, lifting its head only to recognize our presence briefly before digging around for more termites!<br />
<br />
We sat quietly for what seemed like an age, revelling in the bear being so close and at ease, they are usually very wary of humans. When all of a sudden it patience with its uninvited dinner guests vanished and it charged at us stopping scant meters from the car and rearing on its hind legs. There were four cameras following the bear, but not one picture was taken, all of us were leaning away from the bear in shock and fear! We sat still holding our breath until it slunk off into the bushes, obviously satisfied that it was the victor. After witnessing the speed of the bear I have felt that ‘sloth’ probably was not the most appropriate name for it! 5D mkIII,Geotagged,India,Melursus ursinus,Sloth bear,Spring,adhocphotographer,bandipur,india,john rowell,karnataka,sloth bear

The above is a fantastic wildlife moment, a behavioral and entertaining shot of a shy mammal that is not often seen.

A lot more people and photos deserve to be called out and get credit, but I hope you understand that I have to limit this post somewhat. I'd like to end this contest with some closing words. The reason we organize contests at JungleDragon is not to be a photo contest site, it is to attract new members in trying out the site, and experiencing its true value. That value lies in sharing wildlife moments with a rich context. Photos become educational by sharing species and locations as part of the image. We want you to get "hooked" into the addictive way of sharing wildlife here, in rich and meaningful ways. Therefore, contest or not, winning it or not, we hope that you experience that value and fun, and that you keep sharing here.

kind regards,

Ferdy
    Replied 4 years ago, modified 4 years ago
  2. Congratulations @LivingWild, i truely fantastic image! :) A worthy winner!

I'm stoked to have come in as a runner up. Well done to everyone though, there was a lot of fantastic images!

Lets keep it going! :)
    Replied 4 years ago
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement, @JohnR. You should know that both you and @LivingWild I consider two of the most inspiring new members. Replied 4 years ago
  4. Congratulations @LivingWild! Congratulations also to the runner-ups. Truly beautiful images! Replied 4 years ago
  5. Ferdy, thank you very much for the honor and privilege of allowing me to partake in both the contest, and your great site. I am definitely going to keep up submitting to this wonderful site. I recognize the hard work you have put into this.

For the sake of the competitive spirit, I would like to know if it is all possible to share the prize money with the runners up ? I am simply convinced that their entries were just as great, if not more, than my own. So, in a humble request, can you provide the runners up with $ 25 each ? Is it possible ?

Again, as you so brilliantly state, this site is all about species and the wonderful world of nature. Sharing is everything and I thank you again for your fantastic work and dedication.
    Replied 4 years ago
  6. That's a very generous statement, @LivingWild. Sure it would be possible to divide the prize as you suggest, I only need to know from @JohnR and @anupdeodhar if they accept it, along with their payment details.

Thank you so much for your belief in JungleDragon.
    Replied 4 years ago
  7. I am certainly glad that I did not have to choose the winner, some of the photos posted over the last month are truly outstanding. It is great to have new members on board that are not just passionate about their photography, but also about their subjects. We have seen an amazing array of new species and so much knowledge imparted, it has been a pleasure to be a part of it. Congratulations Living Wild, JohnR and anupdeohar, please keep posting! Replied 4 years ago
  8. Congrats @Living Wild! It has been a pleasure experiencing your photography this month! So glad you have joined the community here. Also, a big congrats to @JohnR and @Anupdeodhar for your runner-up photos! Both of you have amazing talent and I am glad you have shared on JungleDragon as well!

And a big thank you and congratulations to all of the final candidates and the contest participants throughout the month! JungleDragon has grown in many ways due to all of the contributions put out by the new members.
    Replied 4 years ago
  9. @Living Wild... That is extremely generous and I will accept... i will put it towards my next safari and share the results on here! :) Thank you! :) Replied 4 years ago
  10. Update on the prize:
    - 50$ paid out to @LivingWild
    - contacted @John en @Arup for payment info
    Replied 4 years ago
  11. Thanks for appreciating my work and considering it as a runner up in the contest. Will definitely keep sharing my work on this site.. Replied 4 years ago
  12. Awesome! Congratulations LivingWild. Each of your images cause me to draw in a stunned breath. Keep it up!
    Replied 4 years ago
  13. Congrats LivingWild, Anup and John. Replied 4 years ago
  14. Thanks haylo! Replied 4 years ago
  15. Well done guys! what a contest! thousand of wonderful pics! Many thanks to you fchristant for your fabulous job! I was away for some few weeks because of professional stuff, I will have lot of work to read everysingle thing here! so many changements!!
    Replied 4 years ago
  16. Welcome back, @Oddfeel. In your honor, I repromoted one of your photos. Replied 4 years ago
  17. Waow!! @fchristant such a nice welcome!! I am proud thanks my friend I appreciate! Replied 4 years ago

Forum rules

Be respectful to others. No spamming or trolling. No advertising. Mind your language. Post in the right forum. Thanks!

How to include photos, videos and more

You can include several objects in your forum topic and replies by simply pasting a URL in the body field. Examples:

Photo

https://www.jungledragon.com/image/7/elephant.html

Photo list

https://www.jungledragon.com/list/3/mammals.html

Tag

https://www.jungledragon.com/tag/12/elephants.html

User

https://www.jungledragon.com/user/2/fchristant.html

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/23864381