Contests

Learn about our special photo assignments and win cool prizes!
  1. Dear all,

Hereby I am proud to announce the November 2013 JungleDragon wildlife photo contest, which starts now. Please read the below instructions and rules carefully before joining the contest.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

1. If you're not yet a member of JungleDragon, join here:
    http://www.jungledragon.com/join
    If you're having trouble joining, please email us at info@jungledragon.com. If you're already a member, go to step 2.

2. Post a comment on this thread to confirm you are participating
    3. Follow the rules outlined below

PRIZES

1. 100$ in cash for the best photo, judged by its karma score which is calculated from image resolution, inclusion of exif/iptc info, votes, comments, views and favorites automatically.
    2. 100$ in cash for the person contributing the most new species to JungleDragon, see rules below

RULES

1. Use only one JungleDragon account per person
    2. The contest runs from Nov 1 - Nov 30 2013, only photos submitted between that period apply to the contest. Do not repost photos you contributed earlier.
    3. Payment to the winners is done via Paypal only
    4. The normal photo rules apply for this contest:

- You must be the owner of the image
    - The image must be on topic (wildlife, nature landscapes, animals, plants)
    - Slight variations of the same scene count as one contribution only
    - Frames and watermarks allowed but keep it reasonable
    - Post a reasonable minimum resolution and image quality

5. Put effort into sharing your photo. Provide a meaningful title and description. If you can and where relevant, identify the specie on the photo. Geotagging is also encouraged, but optional. Do not "dump-and-go". Photos without any metadata do not qualify for the prizes.

6. You are allowed and even encouraged to market your own contributions outside JungleDragon
    7. Although we will not prevent you from deleting your own images, you are expected to keep your contributions on JungleDragon for all to enjoy after the contest.
    8. Any photos submitted by the owner of JungleDragon (me) do not participate in the contest.

SPECIES INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES

The prize regarding "most new species introduced" requires some explaining...

JungleDragon allows you to identify the species on the photo using the "identify species" button to the right of the photo on the photo page. In the dialog that appears, you can type the species' common name or binomial (latin) name. After clicking "search", it will search both JungleDragon and Wikipedia for a match. If a match is found, your photo is linked to a species entry. If your photo is the first identified photo of the particular species in JungleDragon, we call that a species introduction or a new species, which is what counts for the contest, the "most new species" prize in particular. The following additional instructions and rules apply:

9. You should try to identify the species on your photos yourself. However, should somebody else do it for you (which is allowed and encouraged in JungleDragon), and if that leads to a new species introduction, the new species still counts for you, as you were the first photo contributor for the species.

10. The species identification system is not perfect. If you have a valid new species name, yet the system is unable to find a match (for example because no Wikipedia page exists), please provide a comment below your photo to ask for manual creation of the species. After manual creation of the new species, it will count.

11. Species introductions will only count on photos within the contest period, not on older photos

12. Your photo should be clear enough to provide reasonable proof that the species you identify in fact matches the species on the photo.

The contest starts NOW. Good luck all!
    Replied 5 years ago, modified 5 years ago
  2. I'm in! I will be commenting and voting a lot and hope to enter a nice creation myself:)!
    Good luck, all!
  3. Me too...one can but try! Replied 5 years ago
  4. let the games begin. Good luck to everyone. Replied 5 years ago
  5. I wouldn't miss it ;) Replied 5 years ago
  6. i am in Replied 5 years ago
  7. Just arrived ... and ready. Replied 5 years ago
  8. Very honour join the contest :) Replied 5 years ago, modified 5 years ago
  9. Welcome all, and thanks for joining. Good luck! Replied 5 years ago
  10. I am brand new to the site and I am excited to share some pictures! Count me in! Replied 5 years ago
  11. Welcome on board, Travis! Replied 5 years ago
  12. I am so in :D Replied 5 years ago
  13. @Travis and @Shubham: welcome to the site and contest! Replied 5 years ago
  14. I'm in the contest, am looking forward to sharing great photos Replied 5 years ago
  15. Just signed up and eager to join the contest! :) Replied 5 years ago
  16. I am joining this contest Replied 5 years ago
  17. Welcome @Mark, @MooziX and @saikat, good luck in the contest! Replied 5 years ago
  18. I just joined today and plan to enter the contest. There are already many entries that are wonderful pictures. Replied 5 years ago
  19. I have just joined and having a keen interest in photography and having never entered a photo contest before, I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained! Replied 5 years ago
  20. Welcome POAGUY, thanks for joining and good luck in the contest! Replied 5 years ago
  21. I'm in! :D Replied 5 years ago
  22. hi all, we're now one week into this November's contest, so here's an update on results so far regarding the 2 prizes.

As for the best photo prize, here is the current top 3 ranked by karma score:

The Ibex says: Catch Me If You Can! Young female Ibex on the fork of Disteis (2,200 m), near the top of the Jof di Montasio (Friuli, Italy). The photo was taken leaning on the crest of the saddle: these beautiful animals had fun running on the edge of the ledges ... Alpine Ibex,Capra ibex,Geotagged,Italy,ibex,mountain goat

#1 (310 karma)

Little Barbary macaque La Montagne des Singes: more than 200 Barbary macaques roaming free in 60 acres of beautiful forest.<br />
Here you can see an adult male carrying a baby, there, two females grooming, and in the distance two little ones playing by the pond… Barbary Macaque,France,Geotagged,Macaca sylvanus

#2 (225 karma)

Indian chameleon (Chamaeleo zeylanicus) This Picture is clicked in the Dang Forest,  Chamaeleo zeylanicus,Geotagged,India,Indian chameleon

#2 (220 karma)

This is quite a close call. A few minor events (votes, comments, favorites, list adds etc) can totally reshuffle this top 3. Note that in JungleDragon, a few dozen events contribute to the image's karma score, yet votes and favorites count the strongest, as well as specie identification.

As for the prize for the person introducing the most new species:

Graeme RuckGraeme Ruck
    #1 (31 new species)

travismorhardttravismorhardt
    #2 (20 new species)

Shubham RathoreShubham Rathore
    #3 (17 new species)

The great thing about this particular prize is that you don't really depend on votes or the taste of others. It is challenging, yet you fully control your own result.

It looks like everything is still open, so by all means keep competing and have fun.

23. Oh and one more thing...in just one week as a group we added 111 new species. That's really amazing, proud of you all. Replied 5 years ago
  24. I'm in too !!
    Feeling proud to compete with enthusiastic folks !!
    Replied 5 years ago
  25. Welcome on board, @karthicksudarsh Replied 5 years ago
  26. I'm in too !! :) Replied 5 years ago
  27. Awesome that we have introduced over 100 new species to the site in just one week! Let's see if we can do another 100 in week two! Replied 5 years ago
  28. That's the spirit, Travis! We're at 127 new ones now, for a grand total of 2,689 species. Replied 5 years ago
  29. I'm in. Awesome! Replied 5 years ago
  30. Welcome on board, Toni and good luck! Replied 5 years ago
  31. I'am in, good luck all. :-) Replied 5 years ago
  32. i'm in for sure on this contest. Replied 5 years ago
  33. I'm participating too...!!! :)
    Replied 5 years ago
  34. count me in... good luck to all
    Replied 5 years ago
  35. hi all, we're 2 weeks into the November photo contest, about half-way. Time for another score update.

PRIZE 1: best photo, judged by karma score:
    ===========================

#1 (434 karma)
    Black Headed Ibis Taken in Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka, India on 2nd Nov, 2013 Black-headed Ibis,Geotagged,India,Threskiornis melanocephalus

#2 (401 karma)
    Red-whiskered Bulbul Red-whiskered Bulbul - Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka, India. Photo taken on 2nd Nov Birds,Geotagged,India,Pycnonotus jocosus,Red-whiskered Bulbul

#3 (310 karma)
    The Ibex says: Catch Me If You Can! Young female Ibex on the fork of Disteis (2,200 m), near the top of the Jof di Montasio (Friuli, Italy). The photo was taken leaning on the crest of the saddle: these beautiful animals had fun running on the edge of the ledges ... Alpine Ibex,Capra ibex,Geotagged,Italy,ibex,mountain goat

Looks like some reshuffling took place since the 1st week. This game is still wide open.

PRIZE 2: most new species introduced:
    ========================

You have introduced a whopping 195 new species to the site in only 2 weeks! Well done.

#1 (43 new species)
    Graeme RuckGraeme Ruck

#2 (41 new species)

#3 (32 new species)
    WildFlowerWildFlower

This one is looking like a very tight race, also still wide open for the taking!

Good luck in the coming week, and don't forget, it's not too late to join the contest!
    Replied 5 years ago
  36. Best get my skates on and enter - fingers crossed and let's get focused :) I'm in whoop Replied 5 years ago
  37. Good luck Bridget! Replied 5 years ago
  38. Good luck everyone...:) Replied 5 years ago
  39. yes, i am uploading!
    Replied 5 years ago
  40. I just join the contest, Good luck to all :) Replied 5 years ago
  41. Yes I would like to enter too :) All the best to everyone! Replied 5 years ago
  42. I am entering! Best luck to everyone! Replied 5 years ago
  43. I am entering as well Replied 5 years ago
  44. Im in :D Replied 5 years ago
  45. I'm joining this Contest. Replied 5 years ago
  46. hi all, we're in the 3rd week of the contest, this will be the last mid-way score update, as the next one will be the final result.

PRIZE 1: Best photo, judged by karma:
    =======================
    #1 (699 karma)
    Malabar_Squirrel This photo was taken in Ganeshgudi, Uttar Kannada District, Karnataka, INDIA. Here you will be able to see many kinds of animals and birds species. This was one particular moment where the monkeys were chasing this squirrel, I was just waiting for the perfect pose to create my image, & this came out really well. I still have few snaps of this squirrel, I will be sharing them shortly. Geotagged,India,Indian Giant Squirrel,Ratufa indica

#2 (646 karma)
    Black Headed Ibis Taken in Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka, India on 2nd Nov, 2013 Black-headed Ibis,Geotagged,India,Threskiornis melanocephalus

#3 ( karma)
    Common_Squirrel  Funambulus palmarum,Geotagged,India,Indian palm squirrel

Looks like during the last week a new image became leading, a tight race it is.

PRIZE 2: most new species introduced:
    ========================
    You have introduced a whopping 280 new species to the site in only 3 weeks! Well done.

#1 (58 new species):

#2 (46 new species):
    Graeme RuckGraeme Ruck

#3 (45 new species):
    WildFlowerWildFlower

Looks like an incredible rise by Travis, the next week will show the true species pioneer.

Good luck in the next week, which is also the last week of the contest!
    Replied 5 years ago
  47. I'm in! Replied 5 years ago
  48. Better late than never Andrey! Good luck! Replied 5 years ago
  49. Regarding prize #2 (most new species introduced) there's been a shift in the leader board:

#1 (73 new species)
    WildFlowerWildFlower

#2 (62 new species)

#3 (46 new species)
    Graeme RuckGraeme Ruck

All users combined a whopping 363 new species were added so far. But it's not over yet. There's 3 full days left, how about a sprint to the end?
    Replied 5 years ago
  50. Came to know about this competition a little late. Hopefully will take part the next month. Replied 5 years ago
  51. Dear all participating in the contest,

I have received several complaints from genuine users regarding prize #1: the photo with the most votes/karma. Unfortunately, that part of the contest is seeing a lot of behavior that is not genuine. For example, some photos are getting 30 times more votes than normal. Looking into those votes, all are coming from spam accounts that are massively joining the site, making the vote, producing bulk bogus comments, and then leaving. These accounts are all voting on the same two images, and on nothing else.

This clearly is an unfair way to win a contest, and I cannot allow genuine users to suffer from it. Therefore, I have decided to cancel prize #1 for this contest. I will not reward immoral behavior with cash. Instead, the 100$ of that prize will be donated to a wildlife cause.

I do not take this decision lightly, and I apologize in case there are image posters receiving such spam votes whilst not being part of the scam.

On the upside, prize #2 (most new species), cannot be cheated and will continue as planned.

I hope you understand my decision, I cannot find it in my heart to reward cheaters.
  52. I for one understand, and totally agree with your wise decision to turn your back on cheaters. All honest users will do the same.
    As an alternative solution you could maybe shift 1,2,3 to 2,3,4?
    Btw: an amazing quantity of new species, wow, I was not able to participate but was honestly baffled with it!
    Replied 5 years ago
  53. Wow! That is so sad but good on you Ferdy for making that stand, quite remarkable what some people will do for just $100. Despite the cheaters and spammers I hope I am right in believing that the competition has attracted quite a few new and genuine people and we have certainly seen some wonderful photos of some extraordinary species. Replied 5 years ago
  54. Hi All,

To be honest, I am in full support of this decision. Some maybe be surprised with my response but that is the truth. The sole reason for this Rat-Race, as I see it, is being "Under Voted" which many of the excellent photographs have faced here. Such a situation arises if an open-to-all voting option is provided to all contestents who can amplify there karma scores with the help of their social skills. These loopholes do encourage exploitation which can be triggered with small amount of friction. And such frictions are always triggered by two or more subject, never a single subject.
    Therefore, I have a small and a humble suggestion to the judges of this competition. Rather than allowing the contestents complete freedom promote their handiworks, the judges themselves can promote the same by shortlisting photographs based on the following points.
    1. Technical skill involved to capture the picture.
    2. The presence of the most suitable abstract composition, explaining the picture, in the smartest and shortest possible way.
    3. Species identification and their position in the Conservation Status (if applicable).

It's a shame that the Prize #1 has to be cancelled and I personally wouldn't want that to happen. So if the judges agree, I suggest that the top 4 popular pics be removed ONLY for the NOV month's competition and the prize be awarded to the next best pic (i.e. Rank 5 in the most popular pics) or the pic which the judges see worthy of Prize #1.
  55. Thanks for the support Ludo and Claire. I'm going to have a positive outlook on all of this. For one, the cheaters are not rewarded, and wildlife will get a donation instead. That's justice. Second, true contributing as seen in the species contest will be rewarded, and it's been very successful. I also welcome all new genuine members on board. And, I will still organize future contest, particularly the species contest. Replied 5 years ago
  56. I think Avinash has a point and maybe photos should be judged on their merit by a selected panel or even just yourself Ferdy. I guess that is how many competitions are run.
    I still support your decision of course and naturally I am always thrilled when a good cause gets a little boost! But it is a thought for future contests.
    Replied 5 years ago
  57. Also I would like to promote one pic in particular which did not receive the credit it should've. It the macro pic of the ANT By Istvan
    Ant NkonD700,Nikon microskop objectiv,Nikon bellows,SB-800 Black garden ant,Formicidae,Geotagged,Lasius niger,Sweden

I may be a beginner in photography but this pic surely stands out of the crowd.
  58. @Avinash: I am pleased with your response, especially considering that one of your images has been the subject of this behavior. I think the image was definitely a potential contest winner, also with legal votes. That said, it is now impossible for me to distinguish a clear and fair winner from votes, and I cannot change the rules at the end of the contest, therefore I will stick to my decision to donate to wildlife instead. As said, prize #2 will continue.

I am not deaf to your suggestions though. In the future, if I am to organize another "best image" prize, I will do so by jury. A small selection of proven candidates can then judge the best photo based on the attributes you mention.

Once again, I'm sorry that this impacted well-intending members. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that the money instead will be used on a wildlife charity.
    Replied 5 years ago
  59. @Avinash: You're so right, that's one insane macro. Note though that it was uploaded last year. A very clear rule in the contest was that it has to be uploaded this month. Replied 5 years ago
  60. No issues Ferdy, I take this as a learning lesson for my future endeavour in photography and I am pleased that the money is being used for charity, especially since many animals face extinction due to the human race themselves.
    Now considering that my interest and enthusiasm hasn't dampened in the least, I am looking forwards to take part in the future contest if it's acceptable with the jury.
    Replied 5 years ago
  61. Oh.. Didn't see the upload time.. My bad.. :P :D Replied 5 years ago, modified 5 years ago
  62. Avinash, you are indeed a wonderful person and so glad you are here with us at Jungle Dragon. I am loving your photos,keep them coming! Replied 5 years ago
  63. @Avinash. How about this: why don't you make a suggestion for the wildlife cause we will donate to? I think you've earned it from your photo, as well as your reasonable responses right here. Be sure to suggest a proven, standing organization.

As for future contests, I may do another one next January.
  64. How about the Jim Corbett National Park. Its the most renowned National Park in India and also a wildlife reserve for one of the most endangered species on Earth.. Tigers.?
    Its handled by the Government of Uttarakhand, India. I am sure they would appreciate all the help they can get to save those marvellous beings.
  65. http://www.corbettfoundation.org/ Replied 5 years ago
  66. That looks like a fine suggestion, thanks! I will donate to them at the end of the contest. Replied 5 years ago
  67. @Krishnan: That is your first name, am I correct? It talks better this way. From a Lion to you as a future one, I respect your comments and do hope to see a lot more of you. It is just that we are an honest bunch over here, a small yet dedicated community of wildlife lovers. Cu around! Replied 5 years ago
  68. All that insane voting the last couple of days was driving me crazy. I was struggling whether and what comment to make about it and I am very pleased with your decision Ferdy. No offence to the people who posted the photos. The photos are good actually, but I don't think they are the best. Unfortunately, as Avinash has explained, when public voting is involved, the voting usually reflects more the author's social skills than the actual merits of the photo in the context of the whole contest.
    Trying to avoid such situations different contest organisers find different solutions, sometimes combining voting and judging in either order or just rely on a jury to choose the winner.
    In one case when voting by members is involved, it is stated in the rules that only active members will be allowed to vote. One of the requirements should be for those members to have uploaded some photos, because that is what this membership is all about.
    Sounds fair that the donation goes to India, we got a good contribution from the country after all. Tigers are beautiful animals. I went into a shop one day and they were promoting some kind of printer. To show the quality of printing, there was one tiger portrait in front of it. I went straight for that portrait, admiring it for a while. When I had to leave it eventually, the promoter told me I could keep the photo. I was so happy, I still keep it where I can see it.
    Replied 5 years ago
  69. Thanks for your comment, Wildflower. I fully agree with you that a jury would be better for selecting a best photo. I see it as a lesson that we all learned. Note that I am actually far more excited about the species challenge. It brings out all the desired behavior in users: joining, sharing photos, identifying species.

I agree on your assessment on the tiger. It is a creature of legendary beauty.
    Replied 5 years ago
  70. @Ludo: HI Ludo, My first name is Avinash actually but being referred as Krishnan also sounds nice.. :)
    @Wildflower & all: My apologies for the inconvenience caused to you all. But as I had mentioned earlier, this is one of the major loopholes that public voting has, hence my reason for the suggesting the jury's direct opinions for photo judging.
    One good thing out of all this was the huge contributions that have come to this site and I am happy to be a part of it. Its my honour to be a part of this dedicated community and I thank you all for accepting my suggestions about Jim Corbett National Park. Its actually feels good to know that we are able to do something for them.. :):):)
  71. Hi all,

This is to let you know that the November contest is now officially ended. Thank you all for your efforts, it's been a contest with great successes and also one with a bit of controversy. Let's review the winners:

PRIZE #1: 100 USD for the best photo, based on karma.
    ==================================
    As the discussion above shows, this contest has been unfairly manipulated. Therefore, as a group we came to the compromise that a donation will be made to wildlife instead. The organization to donate to has been suggested by Avinash:

http://www.corbettfoundation.org/

Therefore, you can say that for this prize, the Tiger has won :) We of course use this as a lesson learned. Photo contests based on votes will be organized differently in the future, likely based on a jury.

I'm currently in the process of donating to the above foundation. Frankly, their donation process is quite horrible, but I will let you know when I get through it.

PRIZE #2: 100 USD for the person introducing the most new species to the site
    ================================================
    This part of the contest has been a huge success. 386 new species were added. Although many people contributed, it was mostly a race between 3 users. In the end, Wildflower won with 78 new species:

WildFlowerWildFlower

Congratulations, Wildflower! I will be wiring the prize money as soon as you give me the payment details.

POST-CONTEST
    ==========
    There's two things I would like to say at the end of this contest:

- We organize these contests to attract new members and contests to the site. Therefore, I hope for everyone that joined during the contest that they stay active on the site.

- I have plans for a new contest, likely to be held next January.

Thanks all for contributing!
    Replied 5 years ago
  72. Congratulations Wildflower, very well deserved. You have brought us some fantastic photos and you knowledge is unsurpassed. Well done! Replied 5 years ago
  73. Wildflower, excellent job!! Replied 5 years ago
  74. Thank you guys! It has been a hard task and I had some serious competition, bringing new species from different parts of the world. I was lucky being able to visit different places this year and collect some interesting species. When you go out in the wild, you never know what you will find. Some of them were easy to identify, but I've spent hours on others, trying to find the right one and some extra information about them. Thank you Ferdy for creating all those IDs manually and of course for running this wonderful site the way you do! It is my favourite hide-away!
    Looking forward to the next challenge. Meanwhile, more photos coming up :)
    Replied 5 years ago
  75. Congrates Wildflower. I really enjoyed your work, they are indeed amazing. Keep up good work. And also thank you for helping me to identify few species that I posted. Please do keep sharing in formations, links to identify species. Also appreciate the decisions taken on the contest. It was good job done by Fredy. Real talents should be recognized and honored. Replied 5 years ago
  76. Congratulations WildFlower! It was fun bouncing back and forth with new photos and species! You are very well deserving of the title "Species Enthusiast", not only for your immense contribution of new species on JD, but also for helping so many others, including myself, to identify countless new species. I am looking forward to enjoying more of your photography :) Replied 5 years ago
  77. Congratulations Wildflower, well deserved for all your good work on identifying!!!
    Ferdy: good decision you made!!!
    Replied 5 years ago
  78. Congrats Wildflower on your well deserved victory..!!! Replied 5 years ago
  79. Well done Wildflower a great effort Replied 5 years ago
  80. Update: donation made to the Corbett foundation, here's the receipt:

Donation proof to Corbett foundation Just sharing this screenshot of a receipt for the donation I made to the Corbett foundation, a wildlife conservation organization in India. This donation is made as part of the November 2013 photo contest. Donations,JungleDragon
    Replied 5 years ago

Forum rules

Be respectful to others. No spamming or trolling. No advertising. Mind your language. Post in the right forum. Thanks!

How to include photos, videos and more

You can include several objects in your forum topic and replies by simply pasting a URL in the body field. Examples:

Photo

https://www.jungledragon.com/image/7/elephant.html

Photo list

https://www.jungledragon.com/list/3/mammals.html

Tag

https://www.jungledragon.com/tag/12/elephants.html

User

https://www.jungledragon.com/user/2/fchristant.html

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/23864381