Photo gear

Tell us about your gear and assist others in purchasing options
  1. The Fuji 100-400mm will be starting to ship on the 15th. I'm looking forward to having a longer lens than I've ever had - with image stabilization too. I think I'll also spring for the 1.4 teleconverter. Replied 3 years ago, modified 3 years ago
  2. hah, now there is a thing to look forward to! Is 200mm currently your longest lens? Replied 3 years ago
  3. Yeah -up to this point 200mm has been the longest non-adapted lens I've been able to get. I tried an old tele out with the adapter, but even though it was tolerably sharp on my Nikon, it failed miserably on the Fuji. At first I thought I was imagining things, but I found other people who said they had the same problem. For whatever weird optical reason my old Nikon 55 macro works great, but the tele was really blurred.

I'm going to trade in the 55-200. It's just not a focal length I find myself reaching for very often. It's not really long enough for birds or skittish wildlife and too long for landscapes. With a 100-400, it would just be redundant.
    Replied 3 years ago, modified 3 years ago
  4. Awesome, 100-400 is a great range, very versatile and flexible, using an 80-400mm myself. Replied 3 years ago
  5. Which camera does it fit?
    I have a Nikon 200-400 which is a great lens for just about everything except landscapes. Yes I use it for more butterflies and dragons than I admit :)
    Replied 3 years ago
  6. I've gone mirrorless and am currently using a Fuji XE-1 for all of my personal stuff. It's a wonderfully small and light camera, nearly pocket sized with a small lens mounted on it, but versatile enough to use in pretty much any situation. The size and weight also makes it quite ideal to hike with. This big long lens will still be on the heavier side and may not always make it into my backpack for the day if I don't expect to specifically want it, but even it will be smaller and lighter than the equivalent for an SLR, so we'll see. Replied 3 years ago
  7. Ordered, but on back order (fidget, fidget, fidget….) I expect it will probably still be a few weeks, but not much lost to this point. The weather has just started to clear a bit. We've had record breaking (shattering) rainfall here since the beginning of the year. Replied 3 years ago
  8. Ooooh it is a painful wait for those lenses! :) Congrats and I look forward to seeing the results! :)

I've always been looking at going mirrorless, but every time I consider it I remember most my lenses are SO big, it negates the small size of the body. Even full gripped DSLR's don't bother me anymore, and can even be a benefit when attached to my super-tele! :) Anyway, i digress... :)

I would be interested in hearing what you think of your new lens and how well the Fuji/tele combo pans out for wildlife. :)

Best,

John
    Replied 3 years ago
  9. While I wouldn't exactly say this lens will be small or light, it will be substantially smaller and lighter than one of it's full frame brethren… I still use my big DSLR at work, but it was too much for me to haul around out in the woods. I'm small… 5ft and just over 100 lbs and my backpack can't be a monster, so I never took it. Heck - I hardly ever even carried my big Nikon just around town - it would give me a backache to have it around my neck all day, whereas I hardly even notice the little Fuji with a small lens on. Having a smaller gear bag has been quite freeing for me.

I sold the longest lens Nikon lens I had a while ago. It was a measly 200mm and the weight of the camera + that glass, if I'm remembering properly, topped 7 pounds. This guy teamed up with my fuji body will be around 3, which is less than half. Not only that, I can carry a lighter weight tripod, since I won't be putting as much weight on it. As I do most of photo traveling by foot, it makes quite a difference in what I can take. That said, this lens will still be weighty. It probably won't come on the longer or more grueling hikes. I'll see when it gets here though. I've been slowly adding more stuff and so far I haven't cried uncle. I'll admit I haven't been taking my bigger tripod much of late, but I haven't wanted it as most of things I was photographing have been low to the ground and the Joby works better. Usually I only want the big tripod for landscapes - waterfalls and the like.
    Replied 3 years ago, modified 3 years ago
  10. I guess it goes both ways: transporting a DSLR and heavy lenzes is a pain, yet in handling/using them, their size and weight can be an advantage to some. To me at least, with my giant hands. I even add a battery grip to make a large camera body even larger :) Replied 3 years ago
  11. I got it!! It would be pouring rain wouldn't it :p. I did point it out my front window for a quick test. The image stabilization is amazing (and I don't even have the firmware update yet). I was able to hand hold it at 1/30th of a second fully extended with the teleconverter installed with no noticeable motion blur. Woot - here's hoping for some clear weather. Replied 3 years ago
  12. Awesome!! I got out today to a bird refuge just up over the border in Canada, and I am suitably impressed. I like this lens a lot. It's tack sharp even with the teleconverter on and the image stabilization seems to work great. Replied 3 years ago
  13. Congrats, morpheme, it really is an awesome experience to have new gear that works well. Enjoy! Replied 3 years ago

Forum rules

Be respectful to others. No spamming or trolling. No advertising. Mind your language. Post in the right forum. Thanks!

How to include photos, videos and more

You can include several objects in your forum topic and replies by simply pasting a URL in the body field. Examples:

Photo

https://www.jungledragon.com/image/7/elephant.html

Photo list

https://www.jungledragon.com/list/3/mammals.html

Tag

https://www.jungledragon.com/tag/12/elephants.html

User

https://www.jungledragon.com/user/2/fchristant.html

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/23864381