Photo gear

Tell us about your gear and assist others in purchasing options
  1. Hi all, I am posting this as I am in the market to buy my first DSLR! I am excited to take the next step in my photography journey, but I know little about these cameras, as I have really only ever used a simple digital point and shoot. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what I should be looking for and what to watch out for! Thanks! Replied 5 years ago, modified 5 years ago
  2. Hi Travis My name is Scott and if you are looking for cameras and gear make sure you do your research. I run a website that gives a boat-load of info on everything photographic. Please check out http://imagesfromscott.com before you make any decision about purchasing a dslr. Also remeber if you click through to Amazon & purchase something I get paid too Wahoooo
    Replied 5 years ago, modified 5 years ago
  3. Seriously if you have specific questions I would be more than happy to help you
    The best SLR/professional cameras for wildlife photography need good resolution of at least 18 Megapixel. The 18 Megapixel cameras have the best image quality with best optics which some of them are SLR/professional cameras used in wildlife photography. Most of these type of cameras come from Nikon brand with features like touchscreen and Wi-Fi.
  4. Travis, that is exciting news, and I'd love to help in your purchase decision. I'd first like to ask a few counter questions:

- What type of photography will you use it for? (landscape, portrait, macro, telezoom) - can be multiple
    - What will you do with the photos? (use them mostly online, or also print them at large scale?)
    - How important are size and weight for you? What about weather-proof?
    - What is a rough indication of your budget (camera, lenzes, accessoiries combined)?

Based on your answers we can start finetuning choices.
  5. Hey Ferdy I am pushin Nikon why don't you push Cannon and Travis can compare the two.
    Replied 5 years ago
  6. Hey my comment is too long:)!Let me cut it up a bit:)
    Replied 5 years ago
  7. Hi there, Travis!

Hey, you are making a great upgrade of your hobby here, wise decision. It took me some time too, but I never looked back. There is a substantial amount of cash flow involved, so as Scott writes too, you should investigate as to what you want.

Oh btw: not native in the English tongue I hope you are able to get to the essence of my gibberish talk:)

Basically you have two choices:
    Canon DSLR of Nikon DSLR equipment.

I would stick to either of the two brands, none other. They have a large fan base and have been doing DSLR for many many years. Both brands are used by the large majority of professionals.Personally I would not go for a Sony or another 'minor' brand.

Choosing Canon or Nikon also ensures you of a lot of high quality and proven technology lenses of their brand alone. Besides that, every other brand into serious accessory making creates them for these brands.

Personally my Canon brand choice was made by looking at two things:
    1) other people I know
    2) the service level: repair claims when needed

regarding 1) I investigated what other people had in their possession, people that I deemed qualified for an honest and solid opinion, and technical quality of their photos. Almost all of them had a Canon (I used to have a Minolta, they went bankrupt while Canon and Nikon flourished). All were positive on results, lens quality and accessories. The price tag is something you will have to get used to. Snap camera's are cheap. DSLR is not as cheap. Good lenses are expensive in most cases.

regarding 2) I had a Canon repair centre right around the corner (a few kilometres from my home): important factor, though it seems insubstantial!
    When you ever have trouble it takes little effort and no postage and waiting times. It did save me a lot of trouble later on. BTW A Canon repair centre cleans your camera for free a a single time within period of guarantee (2 years over here). Another thing I discovered is that Canon (don't know if Nikon does that too) has a CPS: Canon Professional Services. If your camera is professional or semi-professional level then you can get a free sensor clean every year, they will tune your camera and Canon lenses (calibrate) to work perfectly as a pair, matching both serial numbers with optimized settings (advanced software tuning, you cannot do that yourself). This may sound like a minor issue, but all cameras and lenses are produced given an accuracy average so they should all work fine together. That does not mean they work perfectly: your body might be tuned a bit to the left within quality range, your lens a bit to the right. They tune your camera firmware to correct these minor issues, to that the result is optimised: given your lens and body it could not get any better. Long story here.
    All you need is registration of 2 semi-pro or higher bodies, same for 3 Canon higher end lenses. And from then on enjoy the ride. This is impossible for my budget, but I just teamed up with a few friends, together we had enough equip to match the CPS requirements, quite easily.
    Replied 5 years ago
  8. About the camera:
    The megapixel size is something to take into account. As Ferdy told me about his new Nikon: a lot of megapixels makes quality cropping easy. But take your storage into account: with your old camera the shots were small. With a 18MP or more they are definitely larger. Better also:)
    About the crop:
    When you buy a lens it has a given zoom range. That range is always reflected upon a full frame sensor. Let me explain:
    Crop factor is something you will have to get used to. My Canon 60D has a crop of 1.6. Nikon crop cameras have a crop of 1.5 if I am not mistaken. A crop is common until hitting high end range and high end prices. A crop does not have to be bad: your zoom range will multiply with that factor. A lens with 100mm will have a cropped effect giving you 100mm x crop factor = 100mm x 1.6 = 160mm. So a cropped camera sensor gives you more zoom with a lens in comparison to a higher priced full frame (non cropped) camera.
    Unfortunately it is not always positive: your wide angle range is also multiplied. My lens of 15-85mm zoom range has an effective range of 24-136mm. So a little less wide angle than those 15mm:)
    A cropped sensor can make use of cheaper lenses, as the critical thing about lenses (the edges) is not effectively used. There's lots more about that on the internet. Investigate and pick wisely.
    About the sensor:
    A bigger sensor is better. Unfortunately it is more expensive too. Because of the size the individual light elements on the sensor are a lot bigger. They catch more light. So the image tends to be sharper given comparison to a cropped image. The full frame sensors can handle darker situations better because of it. They support a (much) higher ISO because of it. But keep in mind your lenses will be more expensive.
    And besides that: a cropless (full frame) sensor has no crop advantages;)
    About the lenses:
    What do you like to photograph, besides nature? Take a look at your desires and investigate what a good lens would cost you. Do you like macro, portraits, zoom capabilities, image stabilisation? I tend to believe Canon lenses are as good as the Nikon bunch yet a bit cheaper. Besides that a lot of pros use these big white L lenses, so that must say something too: they can afford almost everything.

My advise:
    I would pick a Canon, for reasons mentioned above. I would pick a cropped camera for starters. You can always spend more money on a body, for now you can spend more on lenses. I would not pick the cheapest DSLR model, for they are limited in capabilities by plain software, they have no simple noise cancellation in camera, they cannot handle high ISO that well or not at all, they are too light thus handle too delicately. I would not pick a system camera (non-mirror): trendy but the lenses are too expensive by far.
    About lenses: pick a light sensitive prime lens. Think about other lenses later on when you've gained more insight in your camera. Buy good lenses only, as they define a major portion of shooting quality.
    The 50mm 1.8 lens is very good and very very cheap, cheaper than the Nikon counterpart. That was my first setup.

Darn, I've promised Scott an article on star photography (hi Scott, coming within 7 days:)) and I've got to get working again:)

Have fun in your decision making trajectory:)

Ludo
    Replied 5 years ago
  9. ps. I got disturbed a bit during working hours (imagine that;)) while writing this little piece of text, so I hope it is coherent and to your liking, Travis:) Replied 5 years ago
  10. And indeed budget is a great boundary:) Let's hear it from Travis. We will all help you spend it:) Replied 5 years ago
  11. @Scott: Sorry, but I will not push any brand, I have no stake in any brand, I'm just trying to help Travis, and for that I have first asked for his needs. Only based on needs do I feel I can help. Replied 5 years ago
  12. @Scott: did so:) Replied 5 years ago
  13. Wow! Thank you all for your insight! I did not expect to receive this much information this soon, but it's good :)

So, to start with my needs and wants:
    - What type of photography will you use it for? (landscape, portrait, macro, telezoom) - can be multiple
    --I currently enjoy landscape photography a lot, as my existing photos show :) But I do a lot of hiking and traveling and critter watching, so some zoom abilities would be good. I also would like to get into macro photography, many users on JD have fluxed my interest in that category!

- What will you do with the photos? (use them mostly online, or also print them at large scale?)
    --I mostly use my photography online, but there will definitely be some prints made as well.

- How important are size and weight for you? What about weather-proof?
    --Size and weight isn't necessarily a concern. Obviously I am not looking to grab for my camera an not be able to handle it comfortably. But if there are some weather-proof options, I am interested!

- What is a rough indication of your budget (camera, lenzes, accessoiries combined)?
    --I currently am working a well-paid job for a few months, and thus will be having a good influx of money, so I figured this would be a good time to start upgrading :) I have looked at some options and products (Nikon, sorry Ludo, but your comment has peaked my interest and I will start looking harder at Canon options :)) and figured a budget of $1,500 would be a good start.

As a few of you my have noticed, I am young and eager and have the ability to travel almost freely and have the experience see a lot of really neat and unique things and places. I will be living (yes, I said living) in Yellowstone National Park from June through October this year, so it would be great to be able to utilize my current earnings and your insightful knowledge to grab some good gear now so we can all enjoy it later!

As I mention early, too, I would like to introduce some aquatic larval and nymph forms of some of the Odonates present on JD, along with some other aquatic insects that many people go without noticing. I have realized that this may require a good macro lens.

@Scott: I will definitely look into your website to see what you have got to offer there! Thank you for that! :)

@Ludo: I greatly appreciate the time you took away from your work to help me out! I will be looking into Canon products more seriously for sure. And, your English is great! :)

Thanks all! I truly do appreciate this!
    Replied 5 years ago
  14. @Travis: Living in Yellowstone Park? That must be awesome!

Regarding camera advise, based on your needs: multiple photography types, weight not really an issue, a reasonable budget, a DSLR is definitely the way to go. As Ludo suggested, the safest bets are Nikon and Canon. This is a very important decision to make, as you're gonna have to stick to the brand you chose now for additional equipment.

In many ways, both brands are comparable. They both have top notch gear and lots of options, the differences are subtle. I'm a Nikon guy, mostly because of their superior lens offerings. Nikon does tend to be more expensive though. Contrary to Ludo's experiences, on all wildlife travels I hardly ever see a Canon, 90% is Nikon. That in itself doesn't mean much, but I'm just sharing my experience.

Once you have settled on the brand, there's a 2nd important decision to make: to go for a full frame or a crop camera. This is basically a money strategy. If you start with crop, you'll have a great set to start with as well as affordable lenses. However, if you ever want to go full frame, it will mean replacing both the body and most lenses. It's a choice between a one-time big investment now, or doing lower investments twice over the course of a longer period. Most people start on crop, and so did I, however if I would have known earlier (and have the budget), I would have definitely started with full frame.

Should you go for Nikon, this is an excellent crop camera, with a kit lens that covers your landscape and basic zoom needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-DX-Format-Digital-18-140mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B00F5E3N46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390241558&sr=8-3&keywords=d7100

When I started, I had its predecessor, the D7000. It's a prosumer camera, just one level below the pro cameras. It has almost all features of the pro cameras and offers excellent value for money. Mastering this beauty will give you plenty to chew on for the first years.

This is the cheapest Nikon full frame:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D600-FX-Format-Digital-Camera/dp/B0099XGZXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390241774&sr=8-1&keywords=d600

I believe this is out of your budget, as the most expensive part, full frame lenses, would still need to be added.

Your choice of lenses would be the 3rd major decision to make, but you don't have to make it right away. I'd recommend a decent zoom lens that covers wide-angle (landscape) to about 100mm or more. You can always add the macro later on.

I believe this is the path you need to take, in this order:
    - Decide on brand
    - Decide on full frame or crop
    - Decide on lenses

And finally, don't forget the additional costs of various accessories, such as memory cards, additional batteries, optionally a tripod, external flash. It's not a cheap hobby, but if you buy good stuff, it will last and keep value.

I enjoy talking about this, so feel free to keep sharing your thoughts. Finally, note that I am not pushing Nikon in particular, it's just all I know. You cannot make a wrong choice between Canon or Nikon, but you need to stick to it once the choice is made.
  15. I guess I have been leaning towards Nikon because I have a few friends who use Nikon cameras and have always liked them, and so I have I when they let me use them. I also like the vast lens options Nikon provides.

I am still uncertain as to what the difference between a crop and a full frame camera is...a fuller explanation between the two would be greatly appreciated! But, seeing as the full frame cameras are more expensive, I am tentatively leaning towards the crop end.

I really like the sound of the Nikon D7100, but I am also thinking about the accessories; does a new Nikon come with a bag? How about a lens cover? A strap? I know I will need to buy cards, and I do realize all this costs money, so I am thinking a maybe a cheaper camera (cheaper than my total budget) so I can still budget for the accessories as well. How do you feel about the D5200? And would you even consider the beginner level D3200?
    Replied 5 years ago
  16. The D5200 is great and for about the saome amount of money a few dollars more look into the D5300 http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5300-Digital-Camera-Built-/dp/B00FXYTCVG/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390245390&sr=1-5&keywords=nikon+d5300 The 5000 series is awesome
  17. Read this article I think you will find it very informative. http://imagesfromscott.com/nikon-d5100-and-d7000-comparison/ Replied 5 years ago
  18. @Scott: that's a pretty informative article, but I have to disagree with this:
    "Weather sealed. This means you can shoot with the D7000 in the rain. "

This statement is false. I shot with the D7000 in the rain and damaged my lens. Particularly with zoom lenses with moving elements, you bring back moist into the camera body and lens as you pull it in (zoom out). Therefore, whether your system is water proof depends on both the camera body and the type of lens.

@Travis: The D5300 should be seen as an entry-point DSLR. Indeed you have to consider if the D7000's extra power is worth the extra money. Should you go for the D5300 (which despite being entry level, really is excellent), you'll have plenty of budget left for lenses.
  19. @Travis: did not see your new response as I was typing my response above, so here goes:

No, Nikon cameras typically do not come with a bag. A camera bag is a highly personal choice based on your equipment (in particular, lenses). I have an official Nikon bag which I love, I can fit everything in there securely and rearrange the sections freely. It's a backpack. Some prefer a "sling shot" type of bag in case you're traveling lighter.

Yes, all Nikon lenses (including the kit lens you may or may not buy as part of a combi) will have a lens cap and a lens bag. Also, the body will come with the strap included, and typically one battery, and a charger.

As for the entry-level DSLRs you suggest, both are excellent choices. They are a major step up if you're coming from point-and-shoot. If anybody has proven that the photographer makes the photo, and not the camera, it is you. If you truly want in-depth, objective reviews of cameras I can highly recommend this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Trust me, there's no better site.
    Replied 5 years ago
  20. Hi Travis, I am certainly no expert in these matters but for what it is worth, I have always used Canon, no particular reason, just always have and for the reasons Ferdy mentions above, I always will!
    For what it is worth, I have just got myself the new Canon EOS 70D and am thrilled with it. 20mp,7fps (not quite as good as the 8fps on my 7D )which is an important aspect to consider with wildlife photography, wifi (awesome!), touch screen and a host of other features I have not got around to trying yet. it is cropped (pictures are closer than on a full frame which is a bit of a bonus in my view), lightweight, well built and not too expensive at around $1200. Lens wise you really need to buy the best you can afford. I have a selection of lenses but the one I probably use most is the 18-200mm, much cheaper than the rest but a lot more versatile and you should be able to pick one up for around $400. Ok so already over budget but have you considered second hand lenses? If you go to a reputable store you can possibly get more for your money.
    Living in a place where lots of people take wildlife photos I can honestly say that I have seen a good mix of both Nikon and Canon although the handful of professional photographers I have met have all used Canon. The professionals tend to use full frame like the 5D and 1D (for which you would need to sell your house, your car and your wife if you have one!) but even they are envious of the speed I get with the 7D.
    All this aside, regardless of the equipment you have, it is the photographer that makes the picture. I have taken a zillion rubbish photos on the 7D and my all time favourite photo I took on a borrowed ancient 350D! Take a look at the cameras people are using on here and the quality of their photos, some superb shots have been taken with older models.
    By the way, most new cameras will come with a strap and a lens cover but not always a bag, you can haggle for one of these if you are spending serious dosh. You will also need a card dependent on the type of camera plus a lens hood which also acts as a glass protector if you cannot afford a decent filter (never buy a cheap filter).
    Hope this helps! Nightmare isn't it! But be warned, once you start, you can't stop! :)
    Replied 5 years ago
  21. @Travis: I see I failed to answer your question regarding full frame vs crop. Here's my simplified explanation:

In the analog days, most films were in the 35mm size. Given a few decades of lenses built on this standard, 35mm to this day is the "standard" to refer to. In this digital age, film size is simply replaced with sensor size. A 35mm sensor is considered "full frame", it exactly matches the old film standard.

However, digital sensors are very expensive, therefore the industry has popularized a smaller digital sensor, the "crop sensor". This sensor is cheaper to produce, and is roughly 1.5 to 1.6 times smaller than a 35mm sensor.

How does this matter? As Ludo explained, a larger sensor has a larger surface, therefore it captures more light. If used well, this means you will be able to capture more light in a shorter time, leading to images that are sharper and have less noise. Also, the individual pixels of a larger sensor tend to be larger as well, leading to less noise in particular.

Practically speaking, full frame vs crop sensor is the difference between good and great. You only get this "great" if you use it properly, and have very expensive lenses to match the larger sensor. And even then still, the difference may not even be noted if you do not share photos in a very large print or digital format.

You are right, the cost of going full frame is very high, and the benefits only come forward if all the conditions are right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a crop sensor. I have both, a D7000 (crop) and a D800 (full frame), and both are excellent.

The 2nd important difference between full frame and crop is that it affects your choice of lenses. Full frame lenses can typically be used on both full frame bodies and crop bodies, yet the opposite is often not true. And then there is the calculation Ludo already mentioned:

All focal lengths of lenses (whether it is a crop lens or not) refer to the 35mm full frame standard. For example, I have a 500mm crop lens. If I place this lens on my D7000 crop body, the effective focal length becomes 1.5 x 500mm = 750mm. Thus I get more zoom, more range. If I place that same lens on my D800 full frame body, the focal length really is 500mm. If you have a crop body, it's really simple: multiply the focal length mentioned on the lens with 1.5 for Nikon, and 1.6 for Canon, this will give you the effective focal length.

Whereas additional zoom is a benefit on a crop body, the opposite is true for a wide angle lens. On a wide angle lens, you want the shortest focal length possible, therefore the 1.5 multiplication is undesired.

To make a long story short, I think it is getting clear that a good crop body would be the best deal for you.
    Replied 5 years ago
  22. @Scott: Thank you for the article, and interesting read! I hadn't really looked into D5300 yet, but I definitely am interested now!

@Ferdy: I always appreciate your advice and your very kind words! :) I think the D7000 is a bit out of my price range if I am looking into buying more than one lens. The D5300 is a little more affordable if I am going to get multiple lenses, which I kind of like the idea of doing so. How does something like this look?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-140mm-Battery-Charger/dp/B00G5HNZOU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390246057&sr=8-3&keywords=nikon+d5300

If I were to go with this set-up, I could potentially look for a macro lens, too! :) This looks like a nice deal to me, but I really don't know what this would all cost if purchased separately. Also, good to know what I can expect to get with a camera when I purchase one.

@Claire: I was hoping to get something with a zoom between 100-200mm, so that is great to know you use your 18-200mm often! I think I will be content with a crop frame, at least as I am figuring out what I like and don't like. And, even if I wanted to go for a full frame, I don't have a house, nor do I have a car that is worth much to anyone else! And I know my girlfriend would no longer accept me if I tried to sell her, not that I ever would, ahaha! :)

What exactly is a lens hood? Is it simply a protective covering? And what kind of filters would you recommend? Would a polarized filter be a good investment? I tend to spend a lot of time around water...

Again, thank you all for your advice, your time and your kind words!
    Replied 5 years ago
  23. @Ferdy: Ok, thanks for simplifying that for me! I understand now the difference, and I agree. A good crop frame camera is probably going to be just fine for me! :) Replied 5 years ago
  24. @Travis: That looks like an awfully complete set, it seems to include about everything one needs, except for the macro lens. I cannot judge the quality of the tripod and flash, but the completeness is overwhelming and the body is great. I would consider the reviews though, it seems this is not an official Nikon package, rather a 3rd party offering. That doesn't have to be bad, but I'd recommend to double-check.

A lens hood is an extension you screw onto the end of the lens to protect it from direct sun light (which will show up as glare on your photo). A lens cap is what you put on the end of your lens when you're not using it. There's also a 2nd cap for when you detach the lens from the camera body, this cap is placed at the lens mount.

As for filters, you should always get one. Even if you do not actively want or use a filter, most people will place a UV filter. Not to block UV, but to protect the lens front-end from damage. If you scratch your real lens, you have a major issue: it will show up on every photo. If you scratch a cheap filter, you just replace it.

If you actively want to use a filter, indeed a polarization filter is a good choice. If you're into it that is. I have a polarization filter on two of my lenses but somehow I keep forgetting that I have them on. It's not an automatic filter: the effect only is beneficial when light enters the lens in the correct angle.

25. Travis, I wish you wisdom and buckets of joy selecting, buying, unwrapping and using your personal DSLR brand. If you decide to select Canon and have any Q's left, gimme a message anytime. As to Nikon, I'd pick a Nikon if I were you, given your friends and you yourself already have experience and positive feedback. Now pick a model:)

Hold in there, Travis,
    Tttyl,

Ludo
    Replied 5 years ago
  26. Thanks for your encouragement, Ludo! I think I am going to go with a Nikon. No hard feelings? :) I just need to pick a model, and a lens or two! Replied 5 years ago
  27. Thanks Ferdy for explaining the difference between full frame and crop it makes more sense now!
    Travis, looks like you have lots of information to go on now...enjoy! One thing though, sorry Ludo for this but whilst I do not claim to be an expert I would not recommend you put a cheap UV filter on a decent lens as I understand it can reduce the quality of your photos. I use Leica filters which are damned expensive but supposedly enhances rather than deteriorates. When I cant afford a filter for a lens then I always use a hood. I am clumsy to say the least and I have lost count of the times my lens has hit a brick wall or something and the hood has prevented any damage. I also walk into trees and the hood also prevents damage to my face!
    Replied 5 years ago
  28. @Claire: I wonder where you read my remark about the filter? We share the same opinion. I have B&Wf-pro UV filters on my lenses , the bigger the lens the more expensive they get. Leica will up that even more I bet.
    What I did state somewhere else a long time ago on this site is that you can experiment with a cheap circular polarisation lens. Mine was really expensive, but I seldom use it. For me it is a gadget I can miss, I would not spend the same amount on that again, I'd buy other equipment for that.
    Replied 5 years ago
  29. Sorry Ludo, it was actually Ferdy who mentioned a cheap filter although did not recommend one as such. My bad! I don't have polarisers or ND's either, like you say, for the price of a decent one I can get other toys! Replied 5 years ago
  30. @Claire: You're right, one should not go for the absolute cheapest option as it comes to filters. I too use B&W filters. When I mentioned "cheap" I was using it in context as it being cheap to replace any filter compared to replacing a lens, I should have made that more clear. Replied 5 years ago
  31. Thought so Ferdy! I appear to have totally lost the plot (head too full of bugs!) my filters are Carl Zeiss and not Leica. Replied 5 years ago
  32. aah Leica is not a very obvious brand, Carl Zeiss is more mortal in budget:) Replied 5 years ago
  33. Can't go wrong with Zeiss Replied 5 years ago
  34. @Travis: That looks like an awesome kit, a great body and a very versatile lens. And bizarre enough, that camera body actually has a few features you won't find on the pro models, such as wifi, built-in GPS and a movable viewfinder. Great choice.

Just one word of warning regarding that macro lens: it will be fine for static things like flowers and fungi, but critters will be a challenge. It's a very short lens which means you're going to have to approach critters very closely, which may scare them away. It is very affordable though, but I would recommend to see if you can fit a longer macro lens in your budget. You may also want to have a look at 3rd party lenses for Nikon, such as those made by Tamron. It never hurts to look around.

Replied 5 years ago
  35. 3rd party lenses also Sigma, Sigma & Tamron are the only 2, 3rd party lenses for Nikon I would trust Replied 5 years ago
  36. Ok, yeah that's why I am asking you guys! I will look into Tamron and Sigma, and see if I can find a longer macro lens! Thanks! :) Replied 5 years ago
  37. Well, it took longer than expected, but I finally upgraded to my first dslr!! I purchased a Nikon D3300 with the kit 18-55mm lens and also got a 55-300mm lens with vibration reduction. So far I am happy with my purchase and I am having lots of fun playing around with it and learning how everything works. I will be taking it back to YNP with me soon and will be looking for some neat and unique photo ops! Replied 5 years ago
  38. Congrats, Travis! Can't wait for your first photos with the new kit. And ask away if you have any questions. Replied 5 years ago
  39. Hello guys ! I have one question. Which of these 3 cameras is the best for a beginner in the art of photography ?
    CANON EOS650D
    NIKON D3200
    CANON EOS 1200D

I'm waiting your opinions!
    Replied 5 years ago
  40. hi @Cosmonchan

I think the answer to that question depends on a few follow-up questions:
    - what will you use it for?
    - which styles of photography? (general purpose, landscape, macro, etc)
    - which follow-up lenses do you plan on needing?
    - what will you do with photos (print or online only)
    - what is your maximum budget, taking into account any extra lenses/accessories you need

I think all 3 cameras are fine for beginners, but to find the best one, we need to know more. Another important choice is that between Canon or Nikon. You cannot easily switch one you make a choice, so take time to understand the differences.

Looking forward to your answers,

Ferdy
    Replied 5 years ago
  41. As Ferdy said it all depends. What Canon type I'd pick it would be easy: the 650 has a swivel display (would not want to miss that, I've got the 60D) and a better noise reduction built in. But it is more expensive. Gotta sleep now, ttyl! Replied 5 years ago

Forum rules

Be respectful to others. No spamming or trolling. No advertising. Mind your language. Post in the right forum. Thanks!

How to include photos, videos and more

You can include several objects in your forum topic and replies by simply pasting a URL in the body field. Examples:

Photo

https://www.jungledragon.com/image/7/elephant.html

Photo list

https://www.jungledragon.com/list/3/mammals.html

Tag

https://www.jungledragon.com/tag/12/elephants.html

User

https://www.jungledragon.com/user/2/fchristant.html

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/23864381